Knee replacement and cycling

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Knee replacement and cycling

Postby misspinky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:45 pm

I am about to undergo the first of two total knee replacement surgeries. Cycling is an important part of the recovery (first gently on a stationary bike once I am up to it and then some short, easy neighborhood riding). Any words of wisdom as to how long it typically takes to be back riding at levels done at CO? Seriously considering taking off a year from riding week-long CO this year and volunteer so I can still be a part. Will think about the weekend ride as there are a wide variety of ride options to ponder depending on the shape me and my knees are in.
misspinky

Re: Knee replacement and cycling

Postby ridewime » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:07 am

I had both knees done at the same time in early September a few years ago. I was on the bike after 3 months (Doc would not let me ride before then) but in Utah that is the end of the riding season. I was skiing in Mid December. My recovery was long bcause I did too much too soon (Work not recreation). I think that if I were able to ride more it might have been better.

If you are having surgery soon, 3 months puts you into May. Really light spinning for about a month and then you might be able to start training. It might be possible to ride CO but that would depend on you and what your Doc might think. I could not start training because of the weather until March and by then all of the pain was gone and I was at least in some kind of shape.

Good luck and if you can and it is a possibility do both at the same time. One surgery and one recovery!
ridewime

Postby misspinky » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks you very much for the great advice. At least I have some idea on a timetable, but I know each surgery and recovery (even on the same person) is different. I am opting to have one at a time. I have heard those who were very glad they did one at a time and others who were very glad they did both at once. Just figure doing one at a time will be best for me for now and be able to work harder on the operated knee since I will have one "good" knee to help out. Of course, CO registration is coming up and I have to make a decision before I actually have the surgery so that is why I am likely opting to volunteer at week-long CO to leave a slot for someone who maybe has not had a chance to be part of this great experience. But I am very interested in hearing people's experience of getting back into the saddle after such a procedure.
misspinky

Postby tarich » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:21 pm

By now you have signed up for Cycle Oregon and are back on the bike. I do have a bit of advice, after having my knee replaced last October, and I believe I did too much too soon, especially weight training. I have since quit that and am just cycling. I would spin, keep cadence high, and skip the steep hills. I am 8 months out, and am only now easing into steeper hills. I still have pain, swelling, and an annoying click under the knee cap. Hopefully you are doing better.
tarich

Postby misspinky » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks so much for your insights! I ended up not registering for Cycle Oregon as a *rider* but as a *volunteer* this year. When both my physical therapist and surgeon saw the elevation maps for the week, they said "Can't you just ride the two flat days in the middle?". Well of course not, and I was not going to take a chance of riding then having to back out when there are so many people clamoring to get on this ride. So I will be a course monitor so hope to enjoy at least enjoy being on the course!

I am registered to ride Weekend CO though. Figure there are a number of options and it is a loop ride so I should be able to make that work. I just will not be doing the climb to Silver Falls State Park the first day.

I, too, have that annoying click in the knee but surgeon said it is normal. Not much pain but some stiffness still, especially on stairs. Knee replacement on my other knee scheduled on Sept. 26th, just after CO. Then back to square one again!!!
misspinky

Return to Cycle Oregon